MENU

Is Spongebob Really Being Cancelled?

Spongebob+theme+song+
Spongebob theme song

Spongebob theme song

Screenrant website

Screenrant website

Spongebob theme song

Clare M. '20, Writer

If you asks someone “Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?” the answer to that is always Spongebob SquarePants. There has been a rumor that the late 1990s, early 2000s show will be canceled on October 17, 2016. The cause of this was a picture was posted on social media that said that “After 17 years on TV Spongebob Squarepants is officially being cancelled on October 17, 2016.” Many people were very confused and upset that their childhood show was being taken off of the air, but some people also understood why. Those rumors have been put to rest thanks to Nickelodeon.

Spongebob Squarepants was introduced to the television world on May 1st, 1999. Spongebob is a yellow animated sponge who lives in Bikini Bottom, and the program shows Spongebob and all his friends going on adventures. While living under the sea some of Spongebob’s friends include his pet snail Gary, Patrick, Sandy, Mr.Krabs, Pearl, and Spongebob’s next door neighbor Squidward who gets annoyed by Spongebob.  It also shows his struggles through boating school and his job at the Krusty Krab. The show is very popular, and is rated 8.1/10 on IMDb and 8.5/10 in TV.com.
Freshman student Maddi K. ‘20 talked about what they think about the situation. When Maddi was asked about her thoughts on the rumors she said “I was devastated. I really didn’t want my childhood show to end. I used to come home from school and watch it with my brother.” Maddi said her favorite character is, “Doodlebob 100%. He was just so much fun and his magic pencil made me happy. I was upset he was only in one episode. Someone should tell Nickelodeon to debut him more often.”  

She said, “If the show was cancelled I would be mad but I would also understand why. Spongebob these past few years haven’t been the same. I would love my little sister to be exposed  to the older more clever Spongebob.”

• Is Spongebob Really Being Cancelled?

Crayola Retiring Dandelion

• Is Spongebob Really Being Cancelled?

April the Giraffe

• Is Spongebob Really Being Cancelled?

Band Assembly

• Is Spongebob Really Being Cancelled?

College Tour to Boston

• Is Spongebob Really Being Cancelled?

Ed Sheeran, 2017

• Is Spongebob Really Being Cancelled?

Tale as Old as Time: Beauty and the Beast Movie Review

• Is Spongebob Really Being Cancelled?

Riverdale Review

• Is Spongebob Really Being Cancelled?

No More LOVE?

• Is Spongebob Really Being Cancelled?

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

• Is Spongebob Really Being Cancelled?

Queen Elizabeth II celebrates Sapphire Jubilee