Groundhog Day

Picture from http://www.silive.com/news/2018/02/groundhog_day_what_time_punxsutawney_phil.html

Jennifer C. '21, Reporter

Every year on February 2, Groundhog Day is celebrated all over the country. The event that occurs during this day is quite unusual but is written off as something normal, and no one thinks too much of it. If the groundhog comes out of its hole and sees its shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter weather, and no shadow means an early spring. The groundhog lives in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, and is named Punxsutawney Phil.

The first Groundhog Day was on February 2, 1887. This day originated from the ancient Christian tradition of Candlemas Day when clergy would bless and distribute candles needed for winter. The candles represented how long and cold the winter would be.

The Germans expanded on this day by choosing a hedgehog to predict the weather. The Germans that settled in Pennsylvania continued the tradition, but changed the hedgehog to a groundhog. This tradition has stayed the same for many years, from then until today.

This unusual holiday has gained a lot of popularity over the years from all kinds of people. A movie was even made about this famous day. The movie titled Groundhog Day starring Bill Murray was released in 1993, telling a story relating to this holiday. It’s about a weatherman who wants to cover the groundhog leaving its hole, he then gets stuck in a blizzard he didn’t predict, and he is forced to live the day over and over until he gets it right.

Despite not being the most normal holiday, Groundhog Day has been a holiday near and dear to the hearts of many for years.

Jennifer C. '21, Reporter

What grade are you in?

• I am a freshman at Padua.

What is your favorite food?

• My favorite food is pretty much all kinds of sweets and baked goods from any bakery or restaurant. I have a major sweet tooth so I can never turn down dessert.

Favorite music?

• My favorite type of music is alternative and pop, especially music made by Halsey, Selena Gomez, and Shawn Mendes.

Why are you taking journalism?

• I am taking taking Multimedia Journalism because I have a passion for writing and I wanted to gain some experience. I also like to tell stories, so being able to write articles to inform people about things that have happened seemed appealing to me.

Best advice you’ve ever received?

• The best advice I have ever received was when my mom told me to “Breathe”. I usually don’t take breaks and try to plow through everything which makes me stressed, so this reminds me to stay calm.
  • Groundhog Day

Fall Festivities

• Groundhog Day

Inside Scoop on Fashion Week 2018

• Groundhog Day

Healthy Summer Food Hotspots

• Groundhog Day

AP Study Day

• Groundhog Day

History of Blue Gold

• Groundhog Day

Art of the Zoo

• A&E

The Philly Zoo Experience

• Groundhog Day

Snapchat Fans Responding Very Strongly to the Most Recent Update

• Groundhog Day

This Is Us: THE BIG REVEAL

• Groundhog Day

SALSthon 2018 partnership with CHILD Inc.

Groundhog Day