Padua Pandas: Take the Field

Padua Varsity Softball team poses for a picture after their victory against Ursuline Academy.

Sydney K. '19, Writer

It’s springtime once again and the softball season is in full swing. Padua’s Varsity and JV teams have been practicing almost everyday since the beginning of March and the games are finally beginning. All the players and coaches have high expectations for the 2016 season and hope Varsity will land itself a spot in the end-of-season State Tournament. With previous appearances, Padua has yet to bring home the gold, but this year Padua is very confident about their chances to win it all. With an outstanding battery, junior pitcher Abby Cunningham and sophomore catcher, Hannah Williams, along with notable seniors Kierstin Fallers and Anna Zebley, Padua is hoping to dominate in the field and at the plate this season.

Varsity played its home opener on March 22nd at Midway Fields against A.I. DuPont. It was a close game until Padua scored two runs and eventually shut out A.I. Dupont 2-0. Pitcher Abby Cunningham was outstanding striking out 11 and driving in a run. Padua played strong and spirited until the very end earning them their first win of the season. Padua’s Varsity record currently is at 4-0, including their three other victories against Polytech (11-1), Ursuline (3-2) and St. Marks (11-6). So far, Varsity has played its toughest and most competitive game against Ursuline. Varsity Head Coach, Pete Boyer, had high praise for his players after their well deserved win against Ursuline.

The JV team has been practicing vigorously and continuously alongside the Varsity and both the coaches and players have set high expectations for themselves as well. After the first three games were rained out, the JV team finally won their home opener against St. Mark’s (9-1) with a thrilling rally of hits in the last inning, giving them a substantial lead. Come out to support and cheer on Padua’s softball teams this spring by checking out PandasSports.com for schedules, scores, and game highlights.

Sydney K. '19, Writer

Sydney K. '19 is passionate, aspiring young writer.  She's currently a freshman at Padua Academy and is an eager and determined athlete who always strives...

• Padua Pandas: Take the Field

Sports

Shannon McCormac: The Goalie That Made School History

• Padua Pandas: Take the Field

Freshmen KILLING it on Varsity Volleyball

• Padua Pandas: Take the Field

Sara Spoltore: A Dancer with Spirit

• Padua Pandas: Take the Field

Sports

Athlete Profile: Olivia Sheetz

• Padua Pandas: Take the Field

Members of the Padua Dance Team Share Their Experiences

• Padua Pandas: Take the Field

Sports

Katelyn Ham ‘19

• Padua Pandas: Take the Field

Sports

Katherine Hally ‘19

• Padua Pandas: Take the Field

Sports

Summer Gearhart ‘20

• Padua Pandas: Take the Field

Sports

Brooke Burns ‘21

• Padua Pandas: Take the Field

Sports

Fall Athlete Profiles

Padua Pandas: Take the Field