MENU

Jackie Knotts: Athlete Profile

Jackie with her team.

Jackie with her team.

Jackie with her team.

Stella W. '19, Reporter

Soccer is no easy sport, and Padua junior Jackie Knotts knows this firsthand. But her love for the sport allows her to endure all the trials and struggles, and Jackie continues to enjoy the experience of being on a team and working to achieve victory. A longtime player, Jackie has played since she was eight years old for the Hockessin Soccer Club, now called Rush Soccer Club. Her passion continues into high school, where Jackie has been a member of the Padua team since freshman year.

However, being an athlete comes with its dangers, and Jackie knows this firsthand. “I played freshman year but I broke my leg sophomore year so I managed the team,” she says. Making her triumphant return this season, Jackie is now back on the team with all the same vigor and dedication as before.

Every athlete that plays a team sport knows that being a part of a larger group can be a rewarding experience. “My favorite thing about playing soccer is being a part of a team,” Jackie says. “We train a lot to get to the level that we are at and we all encourage and challenge each other to do better. I love going out on the field and knowing my teammates have my back.”

My favorite thing about playing soccer is being a part of a team.”

— Jackie Knotts

Jackie is a dedicated player, and enjoys almost every part of the sport. “Honestly, I love every part of soccer,” she says. “But my least favorite thing would have to be conditioning. You have to be able to play two 45 minute halves at a very high level.” Conditioning is a struggle for even the strongest players, and Jackie is no exception.

Despite its obstacles, to Jackie, soccer still is worth it. Certain memories characterize the joy she gets out of soccer, such as winning the Delaware State Cup with her travel team. “It’s such a great feeling knowing that you won all of the games in the state and have the opportunity to play the best teams in the region at Regionals,” she says. “I hope to have a feeling like that this year with Padua!”

Being a student at Padua can be difficult, especially in junior year. And with a time-consuming sport on top of that, it becomes increasingly challenging to balance a demanding schedule. “Before I could drive, I used to do my homework in the car driving from school to practice,” Jackie says. “Now I just have to plan my time out or I have to stay up a little later to finish my homework or study. I also take advantage of flex to finish anything I didn’t have time to do the night before.”

As she nears senior year, Jackie must continue to think about whether or not she will continue to play in college. To Jackie, however, academics come before sport. “I really want to play in college because I love it,” she says. “But I don’t think I will choose a college just because of soccer. If the college I choose to go to has a soccer team then I will definitely play in college!”

• Jackie Knotts: Athlete Profile

Photo Gallery

Soccer Senior Night

• Jackie Knotts: Athlete Profile

Sports

Crew: An Inside Look

• Jackie Knotts: Athlete Profile

Sports

North Korea and South Korea Are Coming Together at the Olympics

• Jackie Knotts: Athlete Profile

Sports

Padua Dance Team Performs at Pep Rally

• Jackie Knotts: Athlete Profile

Sports

U.S. Figure Skating: Who’s Going to the Olympics?

• Jackie Knotts: Athlete Profile

Paige Kenton: Athlete Profile

• Jackie Knotts: Athlete Profile

Athlete Profile: Lauren Mottel

• Jackie Knotts: Athlete Profile

Sports

What It’s Like to Major in Sports Management

• Jackie Knotts: Athlete Profile

Sports

Philadelphia Eagles, NFL’s latest underdog

• Jackie Knotts: Athlete Profile

Sports

Philadelphia Eagles Prepare to Fly in NFC Championship