Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Indoor Track and Field Championship

Padua Academy has won their third state championship of the 2013-2014 school year for the Track and Field Championship on February 21.  The track and field team did a magnificent job at Prince George’s County Sports Complex in Landover, Maryland.  They won the team title by racking up a total of 148 points.  The team is coached by Marnie Giunta and assisted by Sarah Opperman and Barry Swanson.  The senior leaders are Sarah O., Kristen H., Shannon H., Maddie S. and Anna T.

Padua Academy was led by wins from Maiya D. in the 55m, Haley L in the 800 meter, 4×400 meter, 4×800 meter, and Ashley M. in shot put.   Senior Haley L. and Freshman Taliah C. start the meet off with a 3rd and 4th place finish in the 55 meter hurdle prelims.  Other schools that were competing were Caesar Rodney, Milford, Middletown, Delaware Military Academy, Salesianum, etc.

Sophomore Emily E. decided to join the track and field team this year and stated, “My friends encouraged me to try it and having my friends helped me along the way.  Last year, I didn’t know what anything would be like so now that I knew what happened I thought go for it.”  Emily will be doing spring track and field and hopes Padua will bring home a championship again this year.

Brianna V., Managing Editor

Loud music begins as the Padua dance team struts into the gym. Each girl takes their place on the hardwood floor in front of the entire student body. By looking front and center, you can find one of the senior dance team captains, Brianna V. ’16. Brianna would consider her life as revolving around dance due to the fact that she’s on four different dance teams. “The dance studio is my second home,” she says since she takes classes there so frequently. She literally eats, sleeps, and dances when she is not in school. She even has a job at the dance studio teaching other children how to dance. She may be a role model to these kids like her role model, her choreographer, Tori. She knows a lot about dance since she’s been dancing since she was four years old, going on her fourteenth year. This makes her feel as though she has some authority involved in her passion. Authority also comes with her position as the captain of the Padua Dance Team, along with independence and the ability to be a team player. To be a team player Brianna says it is essential to “work with others”. Her dancing also needs to include quality which she defines as “something worthy of looking at,” just like the crowd of girls looking at her in the Padua gym. Success is very important to Brianna as well. The first time she won a competition with her Padua team, during her sophomore year of high school, she had an incredible feeling of success. Not only did her team win the overall competition but they also won five other awards, including the award for choreography. She considers dance as something that comes very easy to her but she has other hobbies and interests in her life.

Writing, making movies, shopping at Victoria’s Secret, swimming, and listening to Taylor Swift are some of the things Brianna likes to do when she gets a break from dancing or school. The writing aspect of multimedia journalism is the main reason as to why she’s the editor of Padua360.com. She’s been wanting to take this class ever since sophomore year to gain the ability to improve her writing skills. Her future holds endless possibilities and she knows what she wants out of it. Her next step in her life will be applying and looking for the right college to fit her criteria. She plans on going far away, hopefully to Arizona or Nevada where she would like to do a double major in English and film. Dance will continue to be a large part of her life as she would like to try out for her college’s dance team. After college, specifically in ten years, she hopes to see herself married with three children, and have a successful occupation as a screenwriter. As Brianna moves on to the next chapter of her life, she will always remember the feeling she gets while dancing in front of her sisters here at Padua.

Written by Marissa D. ’16

• People

Sara Spoltore: A Dancer with Spirit

• Indoor Track and Field Championship

Sports

Athlete Profile: Olivia Sheetz

• Indoor Track and Field Championship

Members of the Padua Dance Team Share Their Experiences

• Indoor Track and Field Championship

Sports

Katelyn Ham ‘19

• Indoor Track and Field Championship

Sports

Katherine Hally ‘19

• Indoor Track and Field Championship

Sports

Summer Gearhart ‘20

• Indoor Track and Field Championship

Sports

Brooke Burns ‘21

• Indoor Track and Field Championship

Sports

Fall Athlete Profiles

• Indoor Track and Field Championship

Sports

Padua vs. Archmere Field Hockey Big Win

• Indoor Track and Field Championship

Photo Gallery

Soccer Senior Night

Indoor Track and Field Championship