History of the Salesian Exchange Program

Students from Germany will participate in the Exchange Program with Padua (Photograph from Jacksonville University).

Esosa E. '22, Reporter

Everyone knows Padua’s Salesian Exchange Program is one of Padua’s most successful traditions. The Exchange Program has been partnered with Salesianum for the past 10 years.  This year, 10 girls will be here at Padua and 2 male students will be placed with Sallies students. Padua has been in exchange with its sister school San Michele in France, its German sister school in Julich, Uruguay, and Austria. But how was the exchange program started?

Mrs. Vigniti, a moderator of the Exchange Program, talked about the program’s history. “I would say [the program] was started about 10 years ago… it depends on the year if all the schools participate,” she said. Padua usually has one or two schools participating in the program. Currently only the school in Germany is participating in the program. “They basically just shadow the students, go to classes with them, and participate in extracurriculars,” said Mrs. Vigniti.

The program was stated to be started by Father Bill McCandless. “He is currently over in Europe, in Monico, and he coordinates a lot of these exchanges with other Salesian schools around the world,” said Mrs. Vigniti.

The program has provided an insight for many different students around the world to get a view of teenage life in America said Mrs. Vigniti. “…[The students] get to see what typical teenage life is like in the U.S.”

Esosa E. '22, Reporter

Esosa is a freshman at Padua. Born in London with Nigerian parents, she is undoubtedly an interesting person to talk to. Esosa loves her Honors Introduction to Literature class with Mr. Cross, and hopes to improve her writing skills by taking journalism this year.

Fresh from Christ the Teacher, Esosa has already made many friends here at Padua and looks forward to getting to know more people. “We have the same humor and same classes, so it’s easy to talk to my old and new friends,” she says.

Esosa has three siblings, and will soon be moving to a new house where she will hopefully get her first dog (specifically a goberian—a husky mixed with a golden retriever). She plays basketball, and is an aspiring doctor… or maybe a musician—stay tuned.

• Student News

Service Opportunities to Consider for Your Next Visit

• History of the Salesian Exchange Program

Student News

Padua: 1961 is not so different than 2018

Student News

Easing Back into School

Spirituality & Service

A Closer Look Into the New Chapel

Student News

Many Pieces at Peace

Members of the Padua Dance Team Share Their Experiences

Student News

First Community Homeroom of the Year

Multimedia

Suicide Prevention at Padua: Starting the Conversation

Student News

Flashback to the Friday Dance

Student News

Why Is Convocation Important