MENU

Arnold Palmer’s Death

On April 20, 1953, Arnold Palmer, while on leave, participating in the North and South Amateur Golf Championship in Pinehurst, North Carolina at the age of 23.

U.S. Coast Guard

Gabrielle C. '18, Associate Editor

Arnold Palmer was a renowned golfer and public icon. He was able to make the sport enjoyable for the average man and was known as the King. He was on a first name-basis with not only presidents but also the public. Palmer died in his hometown of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at the age of 87.

According to Jack Nicklaus, a retired professional golfer, ““Arnold transcended the game of golf. He was more than a golfer or even great golfer. He was an icon. He was a legend. Arnold was someone who was a pioneer in his sport. He took the game from one level to a higher level, virtually by himself. Along the way, he had millions of adoring fans. He was the king of our sport and always will be.” Other professional golfers, such as Tiger Woods, have given praise to legendary golf icon. “If it wasn’t for Arnold, golf wouldn’t be as popular as it is now,” commented Woods. “And that’s why he’s the king.” Palmer was one of most significant icons in the history of golf. He retired in 2004 and has gone to every ceremony tee off until 2016.

Palmer and his wife, Winnie who died in 1999, had two daughters together and a grandson, Sam Saunders, who plays on the PGA tour. He was re-married to Kathleen Gawthrop in 2005. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1997 but was caught early; he returned to golf a few months later. When Palmer did return golf after his cancer incident, he said, “I’m not interested in being a hero. I just want to play some golf.”

• Sports

#TakeAKnee

• Arnold Palmer’s Death

Photo Gallery

Padua Soccer Tennessee Trip

• Arnold Palmer’s Death

Sports

Spring Into Action

• Sports

What is it like to be an Athlete at Padua?

• Arnold Palmer’s Death

Sports

Chicago Cubs win World Series over Cleveland Indians

• Arnold Palmer’s Death

Sports

You Just Got Served: Padua Pandas win against rivals, Ursuline Raiders

• Arnold Palmer’s Death

Sports

Big Win for Freshman Volleyball

• Arnold Palmer’s Death

Sports

White Clay Creek Classic

• Arnold Palmer’s Death

Sports

Padua Volleyball Players Heading to Indianapolis for National Championship

• Arnold Palmer’s Death

Sports

Padua Pandas: Take the Field