7 Ways to Prepare for Final Exams

Photograph from http://petraacademy.com

Photograph from http://petraacademy.com

Sydney K. '19, Writer

As a memorable 2015-2016 school year begins to wind down, an impending realization is starting to set in among the students of Padua…….it’s time for finals! Most Padua students, if not all, anxiously await the arrival of a much needed summer break. Many look forward to sleeping in late, going on vacations, and spending hot days at the pool with family and friends. Sadly though, before any of us can enjoy those among other fun summer activities, we must first prepare for final exams! Since most finals cover an entire semester’s worth of learning, you have lots of material to cover. Getting through finals efficiently requires some time management skills and proper planning. Although some levels of stress and anxiety are unavoidable, here are some helpful tips on how to prepare for your final exams while still giving yourself some time to hopefully relax a bit.

1. Start Studying in Advance:

In order to get a better grade and lessen your frantic stress, don’t wait until the day before to study! You can’t pull an all-nighter and try to cram an entire semester’s worth of material and expect to comprehend it. You should start studying at least one week before the exam.

2. Organize Your Study Sources:

Begin by making yourself a daily schedule of topics for review. It’s a good idea to cover a small amount of material for each subject for each day leading up to the final. Try testing yourself after each time you finish studying a topic.

3. Make an Outline:

Decide what you need to study and how much time you need to spend studying. As you read over your textbook and class notes, make brief outlines on each subject and write a summary for each topic. Highlight the areas in your outline that give you the most trouble. Once you have finished, you will have an informative outline you can use to review.

4. Make Flashcards: 

Making flashcards is a really helpful and even fun way to study. Once you’ve written down the information from your outline on the cards, you’ve already finished half the studying. You now have a portable study packet to easily look over. Studies have shown that handwriting notes help with better comprehension and memorization.

5. Ask for Help:

If you are having difficulty understanding a particular subject, don’t hesitate to ask for help before it’s too late. Ask your teacher to review any lessons that may have stumped you and ask questions about material that you don’t quite understand. Recruit your family members to quiz you with your flashcards and outline notes.

6. Stay Calm:

Stay calm. Don’t panic at the exam! If you are feeling anxious right before the exam, remember to relax and take a deep breathe. Don’t get stuck on questions you have trouble with. Answer all the questions you know first, then go back to the ones you passed on. Remind yourself of just how hard you prepared and whatever you do, don’t rush yourself.  

7.Relax Post-Exam:

Even if you feel like you completely bombed on the exam, worrying yourself sick about it will not change your score. Give yourself a break. Move on from the last test and stay focused on better preparing for the next one. Chances are, you didn’t do as badly as you think you did.

Maybe the most important thing that you can do to prepare for final exams is to make sure that you are getting plenty of sleep. It’s better to get a good night’s rest versus staying up late the night before the test trying to cram in some last minute studying. It’s also essential that you maintain healthy eating habits in order for your mind and body to stay strong and focused. Freshman Katherine Miller states, “I try to get a good night’s rest to wake up refreshed and ready to take on the tests that day.” Miller continued, “Knowing that I tried my absolute hardest in preparation for the exams helps me breathe a side of relief once I submit it.” Remember to keep in mind that in a matter of a few short days, finals will be over and done with, and you will be able to enjoy your summer vacation, finally.

Sydney K. '19, Writer

Sydney K. ’19 is passionate, aspiring young writer.  She’s currently a freshman at Padua Academy and is an eager and determined athlete who always strives to be the best at whatever she sets her mind to.  Sydney has a love of learning new things and her competitive side is definitely a factor toward her success in life. For example, Sydney placed 1st for an essay in the Delaware County American Legion and her essay advanced throughout Pennsylvania, eventually placing 3rd in the entire state.  Sydney has that inner spark that could push her to be successful in what she wants to pursue in life, like becoming a radiologist when she grows up. She also has a passion for softball and wants to play college softball, but studies always come first.

Sydney is involved in several extracurricular activities, one in particular is softball for the Lady Muckdawgs, a travel team. Also, she is a dedicated altar server at her parish, St Joseph’s Church, and volunteers at its annual Christmas Bazaar. Sydney enjoys volunteering and helping others in her free time. “Helping others really makes me happy, just seeing what little help can go a long way is really fulfilling,” she states.

An interesting story in her life would be the time she vacationed at Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. That’s where she learned how to jet ski for the very first time. Sydney remembers when her family and her traveled so far away from the shoreline that she could see dolphins right next to her.  “It was an enjoyable experience and I hope to go jet skiing again this upcoming summer,” she says.

Sydney is a unique individual who can do anything she sets her mind to. She has the willpower and drive to succeed in life and take on the world. Her many passions and aspirations will be her guide.

Written by McKenzie C. ’17

• 7 Ways to Prepare for Final Exams

Spirituality & Service

A Closer Look Into the New Chapel

• 7 Ways to Prepare for Final Exams

Multimedia

Suicide Prevention at Padua: Starting the Conversation

• 7 Ways to Prepare for Final Exams

Student News

Flashback to the Friday Dance

• 7 Ways to Prepare for Final Exams

Student News

Why Is Convocation Important

• 7 Ways to Prepare for Final Exams

Student News

History of the Salesian Exchange Program

• 7 Ways to Prepare for Final Exams

Inside Scoop on Fashion Week 2018

• 7 Ways to Prepare for Final Exams

Student News

A Look into the Freshmen Sleepover

• 7 Ways to Prepare for Final Exams

Opinion/Review

A Reflection on My Five Days in D.C.

• 7 Ways to Prepare for Final Exams

Student News

A Seemingly Spontaneous Sparkle Party

• 7 Ways to Prepare for Final Exams

Student News

A Look into AP Lang

7 Ways to Prepare for Final Exams