MENU

Ghost Stories in Delaware

Adam C. Williams

Adam C. Williams

Alyssa B. '21, Writer

Halloween is around the corner and there are many legends and stories about haunted places and ghosts, in Delaware. There are a few legends that have been passed around and since Delaware was the first state of the United States, the legends go back very far.

One common place most Delawarean people know is Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes Delaware. It is said that a phantom soldier is on duty behind Tower 12 and the soldier has been spotted in videos and pictures. It is also said that people who get to close to a bunker underneath a campground biking trail, hear growling or have been yelled at by a disembodied voice.

A place that isn’t as commonly known is Old Maggie’s Bridge right outside of Seaford. Maggie’s Bridge is located on Route 78. Legend claims a woman named Maggie got in an accident on the bridge in the late 19th century is still around. It is said that she was pregnant when she got in the accident and is roaming around looking for baby. If you stand on Maggie’s Bridge and say, “Maggie, I have your baby” into the night, she will appear sobbing looking for her baby.

One more paranormal place in Delaware is Fort Delaware. Fort Delaware was built to protect Delaware from the Confederates and other enemies. The prisoners were kept in dungeons, slept on the floor without beds, and didn’t have any water. People has seen shadow figures and full body apparitions also in the dungeon area. Voices have been heard echoing through the dark halls in the fort. There have also been sounds of chains rattling throughout the fort and dungeons. Fort Delaware is supposed to be one of the most haunted places in Delaware.

• Ghost Stories in Delaware

Student News

Padua Media Group Takes on D.C.

• Student News

Sibling Rivalry – Emma vs. Olivia Gruskiewicz

• Ghost Stories in Delaware

Student News

Winter Dress Code

• Ghost Stories in Delaware

New Teacher Profile: Ms. Gaynor

• Ghost Stories in Delaware

Student News

Padua Juniors Participate in History Day

• Ghost Stories in Delaware

Photo Gallery

Pennhurst 2017

• Ghost Stories in Delaware

Spirituality & Service

Community Homeroom

• Ghost Stories in Delaware

Student News

Recent Northern California Fires

• Ghost Stories in Delaware

New Teacher Profile: Dr. Bozanic

• Ghost Stories in Delaware

Cyber Day