Many Pieces at Peace

The logo for APS

The logo for APS

Mike Sheehan

Mike Sheehan

The logo for APS

Devon C. '22, Reporter

APS, or Advocacy Program for Success, is not a new organization. Starting in 2012, Mr. Sheehan brought to inspire students, make friends, and know that they are welcome and a part of this community. For APS’s sixth year, the theme is “Many Pieces at Peace.”

This theme means that everyone (students, parents, teachers, alumni, etc.) is part of a whole. Mrs. Burris said, “…even though we may have struggles and difficulties, we can always rely on each other.”

The teachers in charge of creating this theme noticed a lot of students feel pressure to achieve and to be number one which causes them to feel less valued. They want students to know that you don’t have to get straight A’s or be in AP classes to be the best. They just want you to be who you are meant to be.

Many teachers believe they could have benefited from an APS program when they were in high school for many reasons, such as getting help in nonacademic situations and their social lives, having reassurance they are supported no matter what, but most of all to meet people and to make friends outside of their friend group. This is what the heads of the APS program at Padua hope that everyone here at Padua gets from this program.

Students describe their time at APS as fun and a lot of people have grown from it. Lauren Stuckey, a freshman, said, “It has helped me become more comfortable and made me more social. I am part of a family.” Through APS, students can truly challenge one another to be a better version of themselves.

Devon C. '22, Reporter

Devon is a freshman at Padua. She wants to do something with writing in her future, and she is excited to be taking this journalism course to hone her skills. Devon has lived in Delaware her whole life, but she eventually plans on traveling to “as many places as humanly possible.” Her top travel destination is Morocco.

Currently, she lives with her mother, older brother, and dog, Gizmo. It is quite possible that Gizmo is in the CIA or some other intelligence agency, similar to the well known Perry the Platypus. Either that or he is a vampire dog. Evidence of this includes strange behavior (such as refusing to go outside) and sudden and random interest in indoor exercise training.

Gizmo is undoubtedly a good match for Devon’s family. Devon’s mother works in cybersecurity, particularly in anti-terrorism movements. This is a field Devon is also interested in pursuing—perhaps she will end up in some fantastic hybrid of journalism and cybersecurity.

• Many Pieces at Peace

Student News

Easing Back into School

• Many Pieces at Peace

Spirituality & Service

A Closer Look Into the New Chapel

• Many Pieces at Peace

Members of the Padua Dance Team Share Their Experiences

• Many Pieces at Peace

Student News

First Community Homeroom of the Year

• Many Pieces at Peace

Multimedia

Suicide Prevention at Padua: Starting the Conversation

• Many Pieces at Peace

Student News

Flashback to the Friday Dance

• Many Pieces at Peace

Student News

Why Is Convocation Important

• Many Pieces at Peace

Sports

Fall Athlete Profiles

• Many Pieces at Peace

Student News

History of the Salesian Exchange Program

• Many Pieces at Peace

Meg Doyle: A Voice For the Students

Many Pieces at Peace