From Derry to the World: Roma Downey

Padua Student Ambassador volunteers with Roma Downey, the 2018 Dinner in Honor of Women’s Achievement honoree.

From a small town called Derry in Northern Ireland, Roma Downey never imagined that she would be where she is today. Downey has starred in many religious films and series, including playing the role of Mother Mary in the film Son of God. As a producer, Downey works alongside her husband, Mark Burnett, to release films that hope to inspire thousands. Most notably, the duo produced The Bible and A.D. The Bible Continues, a miniseries that aired on the History Channel.

…the messages that she brought forward were so inspiring.”

— Alex Nannas

At the Dinner in Honor of Women’s Achievement on Wednesday, May 2, Downey talked about her life growing up in Northern Ireland and how she discovered her passion for acting, mixed with her love for God. Downey’s childhood was anything but normal. She dealt with the loss of her mother at the age of 11, with her father’s passing a few years later while she was studying at a university in London. Through it all, she never lost sight of her faith and who she was to herself and God. Alex Nannas, a guest at the event, says, “Her entire speech was incredible. The things that she has done and gone through are truly amazing and the messages that she brought forward were so inspiring.”

Her speech brought me to tears. It was so moving…”

— Kayleen Italia

Downey also brought forward a few messages for the current seniors of Padua Academy to take with them as they prepare to graduate and go out into world. She encourages seniors to follow their passions and never let anyone or anything stand in the way of doing so. “Don’t be afraid to risk failure,” she says. She highlighted the importance of staying true to themselves and their faith and remain authentic through everything that life may bring. Kayleen Italia, one of the senior Padua Ambassadors volunteering at the event, says, “Her speech brought me to tears. It was so moving and I am so grateful that I was able to be there for it. It was definitely a night that I’ll remember forever.”

Dani F. '18, Reporter

What grade are you in?

• I’m a senior at Padua.

What is your favorite food?

• My favorite food is sushi, especially at Lily’s Asian Cuisine in Kennett Square, PA (on Tuesdays for all you can eat, of course). I’m really not that picky when it comes to food though so I’ll eat almost anything that’s put in front of me; I’d definitely be okay living off of only ice cream and salad for the rest of my life though.

Favorite music?

• I pretty much like any type of music, but I would probably say I listen to alternative the most. I’m a singer and I play four instruments so music is a huge part of my life. I’m also friends with a bunch of people that are already in the industry (and getting pretty well known) so it’s safe to say that at any time of day, I’m probably listening to music.

Why are you taking journalism?

• I’m really interested in communication arts and am thinking of taking it up as a minor in college, which is why I thought journalism would be a perfect fit into my schedule. I’ve always wanted to do into something in the multimedia field, so this is definitely a great choice for me.

Best advice you’ve ever received?

• The best advice I’ve ever received is to try everything at least once because you’ll never know what you might have missed out on if you don’t.
  • Student News

Service Opportunities to Consider for Your Next Visit

• From Derry to the World: Roma Downey

Student News

Padua: 1961 is not so different than 2018

• From Derry to the World: Roma Downey

Student News

Easing Back into School

• From Derry to the World: Roma Downey

Spirituality & Service

A Closer Look Into the New Chapel

• From Derry to the World: Roma Downey

Student News

Many Pieces at Peace

• From Derry to the World: Roma Downey

Members of the Padua Dance Team Share Their Experiences

• From Derry to the World: Roma Downey

Student News

First Community Homeroom of the Year

• From Derry to the World: Roma Downey

Multimedia

Suicide Prevention at Padua: Starting the Conversation

• From Derry to the World: Roma Downey

Student News

Flashback to the Friday Dance

• From Derry to the World: Roma Downey

Student News

Why Is Convocation Important

From Derry to the World: Roma Downey