Why Is Convocation Important

Devon C. '22

The freshman convocation, initiating the class of 2022 into Padua, took place at St. Anthony of Padua Church on September 26th. According to Ms. Keefe, “Freshman convocation is an opportunity for all of the freshmen to mark the beginning of their time here at Padua.” Since Padua is a Catholic school, it uses a liturgy within its mass. This brings freshman and their parents together and symbolizes that they are a part of the school community, the sisterhood, and the tradition behind the school.

The freshman convocation may seem like a regular mass, but what sets it apart are the roses. At the end of the mass, freshmen come to the altar and receive yellow rose buds. The color yellow symbolizes the school colors of Padua and the bud symbolizes the fact that freshmen are new to the school. Then, at graduation, seniors receive a fully bloomed rose to symbolize how they have grown through their four years in high school.

Freshman Haley Dougherty said, “I think the most beautiful thing about the mass was receiving our first rose bud.” This ceremony brings Padua freshmen together in friendship and sisterhood.

Devon C. '22, Reporter

Devon is a freshman at Padua. She wants to do something with writing in her future, and she is excited to be taking this journalism course to hone her skills. Devon has lived in Delaware her whole life, but she eventually plans on traveling to “as many places as humanly possible.” Her top travel destination is Morocco.

Currently, she lives with her mother, older brother, and dog, Gizmo. It is quite possible that Gizmo is in the CIA or some other intelligence agency, similar to the well known Perry the Platypus. Either that or he is a vampire dog. Evidence of this includes strange behavior (such as refusing to go outside) and sudden and random interest in indoor exercise training.

Gizmo is undoubtedly a good match for Devon’s family. Devon’s mother works in cybersecurity, particularly in anti-terrorism movements. This is a field Devon is also interested in pursuing—perhaps she will end up in some fantastic hybrid of journalism and cybersecurity.

• Student News

Service Opportunities to Consider for Your Next Visit

• Why Is Convocation Important

Student News

Padua: 1961 is not so different than 2018

• Why Is Convocation Important

Student News

Easing Back into School

• Why Is Convocation Important

Spirituality & Service

A Closer Look Into the New Chapel

• Why Is Convocation Important

Student News

Many Pieces at Peace

• Why Is Convocation Important

Members of the Padua Dance Team Share Their Experiences

• Why Is Convocation Important

Student News

First Community Homeroom of the Year

• Why Is Convocation Important

Multimedia

Suicide Prevention at Padua: Starting the Conversation

• Why Is Convocation Important

Student News

Flashback to the Friday Dance

• Why Is Convocation Important

Sports

Fall Athlete Profiles

Why Is Convocation Important