What is Happening to Bitcoin?

Photo from CNN (Aaron Smith)

Photo from CNN (Aaron Smith)

Photo from CNN (Aaron Smith)

Ava R. '19, Reporter

The first decentralized currency called “Bitcoin”, created on January 3, 2009, has hit a sudden dcline starting in 2018. Within the past few days the decrease has been drastic, dropping under $7,000. This form of cryptocurrency works without the government, a central banking system, and without a single administrator. To this day, no one knows who is the mastermind behind the creation of Bitcoin.

Bitcoin can be used to purchase things online just like a credit card. CNN tech said, “Bitcoins can be used to buy merchandise anonymously. In addition, international payments are easy and cheap because bitcoins are not tied to any country or subject to regulation. Small businesses may like them because there are no credit card fees. Some people just buy bitcoins as an investment, hoping that they’ll go up in value.”

The high tech form of currency had been on the rise throughout the years hitting a high of $20,000 in 2017. CoinDesk says the price of Bitcoin has dropped below $7,000 for the first time since mid-November on Monday, February 5th. Since Monday, not only has Bitcoin been tanking, but Ethereum also had taken a dip of 20%, along with Litecoin and Ripple who dropped 10%.

Aaron Smith from CNN said, “The trouble started brewing in December. The Securities and Exchange Commission and the FBI started to crack down on alleged fraud in fundraising by some cryptocurrency companies and traders.The trouble started brewing in December. The Securities and Exchange Commission and the FBI started to crack down on alleged fraud in fundraising by some cryptocurrency companies and traders.”

With this in mind, purchasing bitcoin during this time is a risky idea. It is a gamble to see what will happen in the next few months or even years with the worth of the Bitcoin. Keeping in mind the gain in 2017, what may seem like a loss now could later turn around.

Sources:

http://money.cnn.com/infographic/technology/what-is-bitcoin/\

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/05/investing/bitcoin-ethereum-price-drop/index.html

Ava R. '19, Editor

Ava Rudawsky is a senior at Padua Academy. She ran track sophomore year and participated in cheer for two years. Ava has traveled to many places including Hawaii, Miami, and New York where she plans to pursue a career in fashion.

She is a graduate from St. Anne’s and has always enjoyed math, but not as much history. She loves going to the beach although she fears drowning in the water.

One of her many hobbies is taking pictures. Ava also works as a model in Philadelphia. She was inspired by one of the most important people in her life, her mom, who is also a model.

She enjoys going out to concerts with her friends, and likes making food, including one her favorites, sushi. Ava is looking at colleges in New York, but has not yet found one that suits her.

• Student News

Service Opportunities to Consider for Your Next Visit

• What is Happening to Bitcoin?

Student News

Padua: 1961 is not so different than 2018

• What is Happening to Bitcoin?

Student News

Easing Back into School

• What is Happening to Bitcoin?

Spirituality & Service

A Closer Look Into the New Chapel

• What is Happening to Bitcoin?

Student News

Many Pieces at Peace

• What is Happening to Bitcoin?

Members of the Padua Dance Team Share Their Experiences

• What is Happening to Bitcoin?

Student News

First Community Homeroom of the Year

• What is Happening to Bitcoin?

Multimedia

Suicide Prevention at Padua: Starting the Conversation

• What is Happening to Bitcoin?

Student News

Flashback to the Friday Dance

• What is Happening to Bitcoin?

Student News

Why Is Convocation Important

What is Happening to Bitcoin?