Teachers as Students: Mr. Beno

Bailey T. '17, Writer

On September 28th, Mr. Beno completed a day in the life of a Padua student. For the whole day he was to follow and be the “shadow” of a girl in Padua. It was cycle 3 and he was picked to follow a junior’s schedule. Mr. Beno said that all of his classes that day were fun and enjoyable. He specifically liked the History and Government class because he said that there was a lot of different resources involved such as: videos, speeches, and group work. Even though the class was at the end of the day and the students looked exhausted, they were all still engaged and interested in what they were learning. He also liked the French 4 AP class too. Mr. Beno doesn’t know any French, so he got a chance to really watch and observe the students. He says that it’s a very hard class and for the students to be doing as well as they were, he was impressed. Overall, he said that “all the classes were pretty good and different. I didn’t find one class that was more enjoyable or less enjoyable than one specific class.”

When asked if he would want to be a student again he said it was fun and he would definitely do it again if he chosen. He implied that it was good to get a sense of what a day at Padua was like. He is really proud of how the school runs, and as he quoted “it’s not as bad of a place as we might make it sometimes.” He can see the meaningful relationships made and how students support each other. “The atmosphere was what I thought it would be, supportive and encouraging,” he said.

Being a student again really brought back memories for Mr. Beno. He said “your brains have to shift every subject to subject, so it brought back what it was like to think of say chemistry for an hour or to do math for an hour. You go class to class ‘shifting your brains’. In your brains we all have these certain pockets that we have to navigate to manage them each day.” He added that going from all different aspects of our mind is one of the hardest things we have to do as students. He also said that “we have to change our style of personality to the personality of the teacher because you act one way with one teacher, but another way with another teacher. No teacher is the same.”

Mr. Beno thinks this is a magnificent program for the students to see the teachers try and understand what it’s like in a student’s world, but without actually doing the homework or classwork.  As he stated, “It’s a gesture to the teachers to actually get a sense of the students world.”

Bailey T. '17, Writer

“I work well under pressure because I’ve always had someone there to push me to be the greatest I could be,” stated Bailey T. ’17. Bailey is a junior and is one of the newest editions to the Padua360 team. She is very determined to accomplish whatever she has on her mind set on and excels under pressure. She also believes in getting things done with good quality.   Bailey has been dancing since she was five years old, on both the Blue Rocks dance team for two years and for Padua’s dance team for three years. That’s where she gets her determined mindset. She wants to go far in life, become famous, and be successful with a nice family to help her along the way.

Aside from dancing, Bailey also enjoys hanging out with friends and family. She is very protective of them, but she is always looking for new friendships to build  and is passionate about talking to others. Bailey is the kind of person who speaks the truth and is not afraid to tell you what she thinks. She also enjoys giving advice to others and helping people in anyway that she can. Bailey considers herself a positive person and likes to be optimistic about everything.

Bailey’s role model is her Mom. When asked who she could be for a day, she chose her Mom. Bailey picked her Mom because, “ [she] would see how much work [her Mom] has to do and see how much work it takes to raise a child well and make them a good child.” When she gets older she hopes to “have a nice job, married, living in a home with a puppy, with 2 kids in the future.” Most importantly, she wants to be happy and make others happy.

Bailey enjoys scary movies but she is afraid of the dark, getting kidnapped, spiders, and getting taken away from her parents. Three places she would like to go are Paris, Los Angeles, and London. Her favorite foods consist of grapes, pizza, chicken noodle soup, and Twix bars. Bailey’s favorite animal is a baby cheetah because “they are literally the cutest things ever.”

Bailey is interested in journalism because “you find out new things you didn’t know before.” She gets her news from twitter and frequently checks it so she is up to date on the news. Bailey joined the Padua360 team because she wanted to learn how to show her work online so everyone could see it.

Written by Rachel B. ’18

Teachers as Students: Mr. Beno